Could you be an ASSIST volunteer?
We are looking for…
Volunteers who would like to support asylum seekers face to face, such as…
- people to run the weekly drop in for asylum seekers
- people to sleep at the night shelter
- people who would like to host an asylum seeker in their own home
Volunteers who would like to help out behind the scenes to support the work of ASSIST, in areas such as…
- fund raising
- publicity and raising public awareness
- organising events
There are many different roles – more than we can list here. There is plenty to do!
For more information on our teams and the volunteering opportunities currently available download our Volunteering opportunities document
What is the role for you?
Where you fit best will depend partly on when you are available – we have opportunities during the day, in the evenings, overnight and at weekends.
We want to ensure that you are taking on a task that you enjoy, and where your skills and experience can be used to the best advantage. So there is a process to help this to happen.
And we hope this will mean that by the end of the process, you will be able to commit yourself to being part of one of ASSIST’s teams. As you can imagine, it is vital for us that volunteers are reliable in the tasks they agree to undertake.
What we provide
- The chance to meet people from around the world and make new friends.
- A wealth of opportunities to stretch yourself by trying something new.
- The chance to be part of a team. Our volunteers are organised in teams, each with a team-leader (Download details of the ASSIST teams).
- Clear task profiles for all our volunteering roles.
- Induction training for all volunteers.
- The opportunity to attend a course on the basic facts about asylum.
- Travel expenses
- Meal expenses if a volunteering task continues over a meal break
How to find out more
Come to a Drop in – Check it out session at Victoria Hall. You’ll find out more about ASSIST, and details of the volunteer roles we have available at the moment.
For dates and times of the next ‘Drop in – Check it out’ sessions go to Events.